Thursday 24 September 2009

A Very Full Day


It's my niece's 2nd birthday on Saturday. My parents are giving her a baby doll cot for her present so I thought I could make a bedding set to go in it. The quilt was the first one I made and I am pleased that it is going to a good home.

I hope her baby will be comfortable in her new bed.

This dolly thinks it's just fine and where is her bed? Oh it's reversible too! Did you notice the gingham? Well, I just can't help myself! I hope she has a lovely day and enjoys her party. We can't go as she lives too far away unfortunately. But she is coming to visit us in a couple of weeks. That will be nice.

Remember the popcorn tree? Well just look at it now! I've changed it's name to the wedding tree. It looks like a bride who has just had confetti thrown all over her. So pretty.

It was definitely a day in the kitchen for me today. It's not my thing at all but sometimes we have to just bite the bullet and do it anyway.
I made a meatloaf and chocolate slice for my friend who had her baby on Monday. I dropped these off this afternoon and took a quick peek at her baby. Oooh he's so little and so sweet! He was sleeping and oh so quiet. I like quiet babies. Other people seem to get those ones.

Whilst doing the dreaded supermarket shop this morning I was faced with bags of lemons on entering. Well, I immediately thought lemon curd. It's No.1's favourite spread and I'm a bit partial to it as well. So a bag of lemons hopped into my trolley with great intentions of being made into curd sometime this week.
Oh well since I was in the kitchen anyway I thought I might as well whip it up on the spot.

My mother got an emergency phone call after quite a while, to ask why it wasn't thickening. Little did I know that some lemons aren't the best at setting! An extra egg later and it was still sloppy. How blimmin' annoying is that? Well after at least 20mins stirring I gave up and bottled it anyway. One can only try.

I did find time for a quick bite to eat at some point. Doesn't this look a pretty and colourful lunch?

And this is mainly why I really don't like kitchen work! After all that work cooking you are left with this....

Really!!
I saw the most cutest sight this afternoon. Three teeny tiny little 'runny babbits' as No. 4 calls them. They are only a couple of weeks old and they are about the size of your palm. They are being dropper fed and seem to be doing very well. Their home was destroyed by a digger, grrr. Their mummy ran off as you can imagine. The poor little mites.
We ended up having tea at our friend's house. There were goodness knows how many children there and they all had a ball of course. Such a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Thank you very much G!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bedding set looks so cute, I think your niece (and her doll,too )will be happy with it.

The tree is beautiful now , very full of blossoms...

.....yeah,other people's babies always seem to be quiter than ours...if this is true, they have to think the same of ours ...

hugs:Manka

Anonymous said...

I mean :quieter (why do you have so many similar words???)

roseroomnz.com said...

the cot quilt is the sweetest thing out and I admire you so much, I would never make lemon curd and if I did my dishes would be way messier than yours! Rachaelxo

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Thank you so much Rachael! There were actually way more dishes than that hiding in the dishwasher.

And Manka I know what you mean about our language. You try explaining it to a five year old when they are learning to read. It just doesn't make any sense at all sometimes!

Pomona said...

I absolutely love the doll's bedding - so beautiful, and I am sure that will be treasured for a very long time!

Pomona x

Michela said...

Happy birthday to your niece, her doll will have such sweet dreams with your lovely bedding set!
I'm really impressed with your wedding tree!

Croap Queen said...

That's going to be a very happy little niece and dolly. It's gorgeous.

Lemon curd? My favourite but mine NEVER tastes like my Mum's. Got a hankering for it now. Hmm wonder if I speak nicely to my Mum......

Floss said...

That has got to be the best present for a little girl! (Not that I would know, sigh...) ;)

We are currently finishing the LAST jar of Ben's Lemon Curd. We may have to drop some hints when he gets back from the UK. I don't know how he makes it set - it's all alchemy to me!

I'm really chuffed to hear that you're in on this challenge too. I think you will be making more and I will be second hand shopping more! However, there are different ways to do it and I like that...

Lululiz said...

Oh pfffttt, a very full day, pfft. Alright, perhaps you were just a teeny weeny bit busy. I have never made lemon curd, so I am quite in awe of that, and tempted to try it myself, see what all the fuss is about.
Teehee, when I first saw the bit about the meatloaf and chocolate slice, for a split second there, I thought you meant meatloaf and chocolate together, ewwwww.
And of course the doll's bedding is totally adorable.
Oh another thing, that iddy biddy bit of salad was your lunch? That was it?

sallgood said...

Do you know the Popcorn Tree song? "I looked out the window and what did I see, popcorn poppin on the apricot tree...." I'll send you the rest if you don't know it!

Your lunch looks delish- what all is in your bowl?

Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL day!:)

Unknown said...

I love your sewing! Its gorgeous. I think lemon curd is aupposed to be quite difficult, but I have never tryed it, so well done for trying! Yes, it is always other people who have quiet babies, quiet children , well behaved dogs! suzie. xxx