Thursday 17 September 2009

Spring Flowers Nightie


Hello again!! I've been busy the last couple of evenings having a play with some applique shapes. I found these lovely ones here at Don't look now! They were for a smock which looks very sweet. It's in the same range as the quilt pattern I have purchased. Can't wait for it to arrive!

I think I may have to read up on free motion quilting, as it seemed a little all over the place! The finished result is fine enough though. Maybe I was using the wrong foot? Probably the plastic circle one would have held the fabric in place more. I'll have to give it a go later on.
Anyway, it's a pillowcase nightie. I made one for each of the girls a year ago, which was so sweet looking at bedtime. A couple of things bothered the girls about them though, so this time I have made changes to the design. We have elastic at the front and back instead of ribbon in the casings. And narrow ribbons at the shoulders as the large ones came undone all the time. Very annoying and embarrassing too at times!!

Aren't these the cutest ribbons? I've used it along the bottom of the nightie as well. I really wanted to use ric rac but there was only that horrid synthetic stuff to buy. I really like cotton trims best. I will have to keep my beady eyes open for some real ric rac.

I think I may be making quite a few of these nighties for the girls. Very time consuming this one. Might have to simplify the applique or just get better and quicker at it. I love the fabrics I have used. Remember the ones I bought for a quilt a couple of weeks ago? Well this is a few of them. Seems dear husband did not agree with my idea of a quilt in these colours for our bed. I take that as an invitation to purchase a few more bundles until he sees something he likes! May that be a lengthy process.
Well I guess I'd better have lunch before tackling the supermarket. Grumble, grumble!

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Sarah, I love the applique you have done on the nightie.There is a designer that has featured in the recent Homespun mag that does similar designs...I wonder if it is her quilt pattern that you have bought...she did a gorgeous topairy tree in another Homespun...Just gorgeous and worth all the effort..
Thanks for adding my giveaway to your blog :-) Greetings from another New Zealander :-)

Anonymous said...

It's soooo beautiful. I like the applique shapes you used soooo much!!
but I think it was quiet time consuming to make them...
The little birdie is so sweet , I think this is one of the prettiest nighties I've ever seen so far.Your little girls must be very happy with it.Did you make only one or four of it?
hugs:Manka

Lululiz said...

Oh you devious madam, but I like your style, lol, buy fabric you know hubby doesn't like so that you have an excuse to buy more, and more..... now thats classy, lol.

I had never heard of pillowcase nighties before, but my goodness, they are pretty! What a clever thing you are, well, what a clever thing your sewing machine is. Sigh. I want one. Maybe a BEIGE one. Now there is a thought.

claire said...

I wish I had girls to make nighties for!! So sweet - the applique looks fantastic xxxx

Michela said...

Love the little birdie! Can't wait to see all your 4 fairies wearing their lovely nighties!

roseroomnz.com said...

thats funny because I was playing around with fabrics this morning and thought I might make my Princess one! So there you go.... Rachaelxo

Joan said...

I like your strategy for fabric shopping.

Floss said...

What a lovely nightie, and it sounds like you made some wise changes... The fabric details are just fantastic - no wonder you enjoyed ironing it!

RebeccaMom said...

just beautiful :) looks great and summery!

sallgood said...

So cute! I think these would be fun to make with my grandgirls...maybe I'll have them decorate their own with fabric markers!!! (Okay, they wouldn't be nearly as adorable and professional looking as your sweet applique, but much faster to whip up!!)

Anonymous said...

What lovely applique and a great looking result. Bet your girls enjoy wearing these. I may have to attempt one for my daughter. Very inspiring.

Julie

Cindy said...

Loving the applique, it so makes it. I will have to give it a try, I am feeling inspired