Saturday 1 January 2011

NYR's

I've reeled you in with my amazingly coloured Zinnias haven't I?  I adore their colour so much in my vegetable garden.  Aren't they just the cheeriest flowers out?  How could you not be happy looking at their beauty?  Anyway I went out and bought another five pots of them yesterday as I just can't get enough of them!!  Yum-me!  Consider these a Happy New Year gift for you, from me. 

Now I'm not really one to do New Year's Resolutions, but... this year I decided that we would each make one for another member of our family.  No.1 drew my name out of the box.  Lucky me, look what she wrote...

Isn't her writing just a tip?  Her bedroom is exactly the same!  Anyway isn't she just the sweetest?  Hubby and I nearly wet ourselves reading it.  I mean does she really think I clean all day??  Has she not noticed the huge folding pile?  Well she didn't mention cooking so I guess I'm not hiding the fact that I haven't cooked for days.  But spending more time sewing and gardening sounds rather lovely.  I actually was thinking that I should cut back a bit this year, but clearly not.

So I did exactly what I was told.  I've been very busy in the garden all this week in the boiling sunshine getting the garden back into some sort of order.  The tomatoes are finally staked.

The pumpkins are doing a splendid job in the compost heap.  All self sown I might add.  Yes the whole pumpkin I'd say!  I have no idea just how many pumpkins I'll end up with but we'll all be making pumpkin soup, pie, quiche and more for some time I'm sure.  This year I'm planning to use my new garden diary and garden by the moon.  Should be better for me as I will know what to do when.

And of course I must do some sewing!  A new quilt just cut out ready for sewing.  I actually pinned and started quilting a quilt for No.1 last night.  Long overdue!  Of course I ran out of thread so had to stop mid flight.  Off to the sewing shop for more tomorrow when the shops are open.  Gosh I wonder if Spotlight will be? 

I think I've made a good start to my NYR, don't you?  So funny.  Oh and I took the big girls to the supermarket tonight so that was good quality time, sort of.  Well it was fun except for the trolley running into the heels moment!  And they all had lots of cuddles through the day too.

Moving right along now.  Here's a sneaky peek at our new bedroom I've been promising you...

This is all I can show you as this is basically it.  The ensuite still only has a shower in it and we need to choose the tiles for the floor soon.  The bedroom needs new carpet and the wardrobe is naked.  We also need a new bed and storage either side of our bed.  But for now it's perfect.  It's dark.  It's relaxing.  It's ours.  It's so quiet in the mornings too.  Just heavenly.

Have you made any NYR's?  Don't be too hard on yourself.  It's pretty clear that we are too hard on ourselves.  Go on, have some fun this year, you have permission!

20 comments:

Cat said...

Sarah your garden is simply wonderful!

I don't do NYR's .. .. .. so have nothing to share with you sorry

Me and Ma said...

Your garden looks faboulous Sarah. oh to have that lovely sunshine to make all our veggies grow like that ! I hope 2011 is good for you xx

Me and Ma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JuicyFig said...

I think they are EXCELLENT resolutions, you have a very wise child there! (and genious's never gave perfect handwriting!)

Kath
x

inmykitchen said...

Oh a perfect life of sewing and gardening.
I am amazed at your pumpkin patch - oh to be so lucky in the north of England! But we try.
Happy New year

Jo x

Amanda Makes said...

I think I'll let your girls choose my NYRs. They're so good at it! Your garden looks beautiful, especially the Zinnias! I'm so jealous of the sun on your back...it grey and drizzly here in Manchester. Happy New Year dear Sarah to you and yours. Lots of love, Amanda xxx

Tanya said...

I like your girls style! That's a great resolution on your behalf.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! Here's to 2011 - A New Decade!! love Annie xx

Michele McLaughlin said...

Can't think of a better New Year's start than those zinnias! They are gorgeous and so cheerful to someone like me in the cold Northeast United States. Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!

Heidi said...

Can I just come and thaw out for a week so jealous!

Crafts @ Home said...

It's lovely reading your blog from the other side of the world and seeing everything growing in your garden, whilst mine is looking so dismal, Happy New Year :)

Jenny at Red House said...

Hi my main resolution is to wean myself off oats so simple golden syrup flavour! jennyx

Lara said...

Love that colour in your bedroom! It's perfect!! Can you believe it's 2011? I am still a little in shock. I am missing some of the year I am sure of it!

sallgood said...

I love your flowers-such beautiful colors! My resolution for the year is one word-FINISH! It's easy to start projects, more of a challenge to complete them, but that's my goal this year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah , happy new year :)

What a wonderful garden, I love those flowers, I've got them in my garden , too (in summer :) )

hugs:Manka

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Awesome pumpkins! And I adore the colour of your bedroom, seriously chic and calm. Make sure you stick to those resolutions!

- said...

What a cute little letter!

Please have a wonderful year ahead.

A garden just outside Venice said...

Happy New Year to you all! xxx

Michaja said...

Dear Sarah, I wish you a happy and above all a creative year.
What a cute NYR your daughter wrote you! Brillant idea to do it this way.
Love love your garden. Wish I could come and visit it.
Take care
xxx
Michaja

Nadine said...

I like your bedroom, the colour is such a lovely blue and the white quilt looks really good against it. I love the idea of others choosing your resolutions, nice you got permission to sew and garden more!!