Thursday 27 January 2011

Tea Dear?

Well you ladies came through for us once again.  Thanking you all kindly.  I think we'll probably go with that carpet.  Well it's only for one room at the moment, we can always change our minds later on.

Now, Mr Red Gingham LOVES his cups of tea.  I think it's the English boy in him.  Apparently he even had it in his bottles when he was a wee lad!  What is a more fitting present, just for the fun of it, than a cup of tea coaster? 

And since I am frequently given a cup of tea on the holiday mornings, 8.30am sharp (thank you big girls!), I though I'd better make myself one.  Oops, I forgot to add the steam!  Well I'm quite used to having it cold I guess.

And look, it works!  A wonderful addition to our new bedroom and magnificent looking with my fav CK mug.

Now these next photos are going to shock you.  This was our front garden.  It might look lovely and lush in this photo, but in reality, just to the left it was a tip of dead plants and overgrown madness.  Oh and agapanthus galore!  You've never seen so many, I swear.  So anyway, Mr Digger rang this morning at 7am!!  Yes before my tea had even been thought of! 

And at 8am he arrived with the help.  It was a cracker of a day for them.  Well they made mince meat of our plants.  Trees ripped from the ground like they were made of paper.  Oh to see those dreaded aggies loaded into the truck - it was a welcome sight I can tell you.

Anyway the roots of these Robinia's were very exposed after a bit of hauling and in the end we decided that...

they must go too!!!!!

Oh my goodness, what have we done?!!  There's no going back now is there?  Actually this photo is taken from my kitchen window and I feel like I've just been given a wide screen TV.  I think I can be the neighbourhood watch person on patrol full time now.  I quite like it.  It makes our section look huge.  Oh and check out No.1 helping!!  It's a rare sight, there must have been something fun in it for her.

We are going to plant up pretty quickly to hide some of our expansive view.  A nice hedge along the front, big bushes along the fence line, more parking space/bike riding area, and some nice soft grass at the front.  The girls are so excited about the grass bit.  We don't have a blade of grass here!  We'll have to get one of those clickity clack hand mowers, how neat. 

On the left you can see the remains of our letterbox.  No.2 was dreadfully upset seeing it this way :(  I had no idea she would feel like this!  She used to stand on it to wave people goodbye.  But I have to say, it was getting a little cramped up there when all four of them wanted to wave!!

They'll be back tomorrow to remove the big pile of soil.  At 7.30am.  Yep.  No cuppa once again.

13 comments:

**Anne** said...

I love your cup of tea coasters. Good luck with the landscaping. It's a big job but in know time you will be enjoying those fresh plantings and grass underfoot.
Anne xx

Sally said...

Love your coasters! On my second cup of tea of the morning! Can I ask what sewing machine you use? (I'm looking for a new one at the moment). Thanks!

'Joyce' said...

oh your new coasters are fabulous, and I bet your tea tastes better than ever before. Wow, that's a huge garden job, but it sounds like it's going to wonderful when finished.

Nikki said...

Your garden project looks like a lot of hard work.... but will look great when it's finished.

Love the coasters! I've never had a cup of tea... never ever!!! The smell of tea reminds me of cleaning old peoples dentures back when I was a nursing student. The thought of haing a cup of tea makes me feel sick :(

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Just having a cuppa now actually. Love the mug rugs, they are so cute. Good luck with the landscaping, a big job but hopefully many hands will make light work!

Naturally Carol said...

I love a good cup of tea...very comforting and friendly..your coasters are great! Wow that's very brave of you to totally redo the whole front yard. I hope you have some fine days until the place is planted and the lawn has grown.

inmykitchen said...

It's hard to imagine you having too many agapanthus I can't grow them here. I love the coasters. Tea in bed is a weekend delight.
Jo x

Unknown said...

Goodness that is one serious garden project good luck with it ;-)) I love your tea cup coaster thats so cute what a great idea, dee x

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Love your tea coasters. Do you know I must be the only English person not to like tea but I love tea cups, so pretty :-)

RIP Mr post box - hope they come to terms with it soon,

Serenata said...

Gosh you are a bit exposed now! Still should look great again soon.

Love the coasters...nothing like a cup of tea in bed...DS2 has got very good at making me one in the weekends.

Amanda Makes said...

I love your coasters but I'm dismayed by the fate of your Agapanthus! I have two blue ones which I love and nurture and long for them to spread....but no luck! Now I know why! They were all at your place! And you chucked them!!! Good job I like you! Can't wait to see your finished garden! xxx

Melissa said...

lovely gorgeous coaster....oh i would like some of those....
son't you love it when you have your big kiddos trained on the tea making front!!

speaking of front....wow what a change...all those aggies...i haven't seen one for such a long time....old blighty would look quite bizarre with them!

can't wait to see what you'll do next....

have a lovely weekend

melissa x

Heidi said...

First those tea cozy's they are adorable....I love when you catch your kids working at a certain aga it is a rare act for our oldest right now unless he wants something.

How exciting when you start making changes that you have wanted to do for a while...I can't wait to see the end result!!!
just think alfreso dining..lol