Monday 17 May 2010

Button Love


Remember this button heart?  I was just playing really but liked the end result so much that I decided to stitch the buttons on some fabric.  Lululiz graciously offered to send me a piece of home woven cloth that is over one hundred years old to make my heart extra special.  Imagine that?  She's so sweet to me.

Anyway I finally put it together in the weekend and hand stitched every little button on.  I quite like it with my LOVE sign.  I quite like it generally really.

I have a wonderful, but little, collection of older buttons from my mother and Gran, and some sent from dear blogging friends Floss and Michela.  You just don't get the same result with new plastic ones.

It was most enjoyable sorting out just where each button should be placed.  I must find out from my mother what the buttons were from.  I'm sure she'll know.  I do know that the pink flower one has always been her favourite.  It's our favourite one as well. 

Lacing the fabric is always a bit of a challenge, but a more pleasurable one when using such special fabric. 

I love the card Liz made for me.  I would have loved to have used the lace flower she made too, but I think it may have to wait for another project.

I'm very pleased with my new heart.  I can't wait to add it to my heart collection one day.  One day when I actually have a bedroom.  It's in a state of renovation these days.  A right royal state actually.

I'm busting to show you my newest project but I'll not overload you with photos.  Perhaps next time.  We have another birthday this week.  No.1 is turning 11 on Thursday so I guess I should start thinking about her.  No party this year, but a family meal instead.  Should be quite lovely.  Right must go and take her to her clarinet lesson.  Bye for now!

16 comments:

Becky said...

I just found your blog and I love it! The old buttons are beautiful and I love the letter pillows!

sallgood said...

I love buttons, and your heart is such a cute way to enjoy them!

VintageVicki said...

What a pretty idea. You see pictures like that in the expensive shops for lots of £££'s.

It's me said...

Lovely post !!

Have a good day !! enjoy...hugs from Ria

Lululiz said...

Oh Sarah, the heart turned out just beautifully. I am thrilled to bits that you used the French fabric for something so lovely. Such a gorgeous, romantic piece. Now get on with the bedroom, grr, so that we can see the whole heart collection in all its glory!!!

Pea Green Kitty said...

What a gorgeous creation! It looks so expensive!
I did similar with a plain cushion and I love it.
xx

Me and Ma said...

Sarah, thats looks so beautiful in it little frame..My Mum sent me some buttons and amongst them were some really masive buttons that were from a coat I remember her wearing in the 196o's, those buttons brought back so many childhood memories, my mother thought I was daft when I told her and could not even remember the coat LOL !

Claire Gale said...

what a good job, very effective. so worth the extra effort, it made it what it is.

Serenata said...

How lovely to have such a special piece of fabric on which to sew the buttons - it looks gorgeous! Come on get that bedroom finished! ;-) Goodness I can talk, we haven't even started ours yet...

Jen Walshaw said...

What a great idea, I think it looks fantastic. Wow chock a block with birthdays arnt you

Fruitful Fusion said...

That buttony heart looks gorgeous framed!

Floss said...

It's lovely! I'm so proud to see some of my buttons looking so good! And I was just thinking about using some cloth similar to that to make a birthday present for a friend... thanks for some inspiration!

Nadine said...

I love it! I am so into hearts... made a heart wall in my bedroom. I'll post it when I have filled the picture frame with a photo. Hope the birthday on thursday is fun xx

Unknown said...

I lurve the button picture, it is just so stunning. What is about buttons that get us all starry eyed and happy? Love it! suzie xxx

. said...

I love the raggedy heart and the name cushions too... you really are on a crafty roll at the moment x

roseroomnz.com said...

Gorgeous! Rachaelxo