Friday 3 December 2010

Stitches from Finland

Before I begin I would like to thank all of you who left me sweet birthday wishes.  I think I've got to the bottom of the email reply list!  You really are a sweet bunch aren't you?  You made my birthday week extra special!

Now a few of you were interested to know about the Scandinavian Stitches book I received for my birthday.  I have to say, it's my favourite book to date.  There are just so many projects that I can see myself making.  I've made two of them already and I have plans to make some angels soon.

Now I see in the front of the book that I'm not allowed to put pictures of this book on the internet, which is a bit of a bummer, but not to worry because you can pop onto this Flickr site and see what sort of creations are in the book.  Here is Kajsa's own blog as well if you fancy some extra inspiration.  Isn't it neat how we can buy a craft book now and then go onto their blog to ask further questions or see what sort of person they are?

Well I just couldn't resist making one of these cute little houses.  I've now made six of them they are so much fun.  I love being able to use some of my new fabrics too, but not too much!

The instructions are super easy to follow and the projects are great for beginners as well.  I love the simple nature of Kajsa's designs.

The book contains instructions for quilts, cushions and soft toys mainly,  but there are a few others bits and pieces too.

I made this cushion yesterday.  I loved how it was made with old tea towels.  I've used two here, one for the tea pot and the red gingham one as well.  So pretty and different.  The top of the cushion is actually some quilted fabric from when I was learning how to free motion quilt roses!  Waste not, want not, I say!!  Daughter No.1 exclaimed how lovely it was when she arrived home from school.  "Where did you get it from?" she asked!!  I'll take that as a compliment.

The floral tea towel was a swap gift from an ex blogger which makes it even more special.  Thanks Stephanie, if you still check out my blog.

 I like the hand quilted steam from the dainty tea cup.

And for the back of the cushion I combined the two tea towel fabrics and played around with them a bit.  Keeping with the theme, it fastens together with a vintage button from my Gran's collection. 

If you are looking for a great craft book for a gift or for yourself, then look no further, this one is brilliant.  You'll be seeing more of the projects on my blog soon I imagine. 

Now I completely forgot to show you this vintage fabric I bought from the quilting show!  Please forgive me as I did promise.  I still don't know what to make with it.  I've had the suggestion to make an apron but I already have two lovely ones.  I'm thinking about a cover for the bread maker but then I'll have to keep taking it off each night - might be a nuisance.  Any other ideas ladies?  I do have a blender but I keep it in the cupboard. 

Alrighty, I'm suddenly really hungry so it must be lunch time.  I'll be back soon with photos from my lovely cookie swap evening last night. See you later!  Oh and you ladies experiencing snow, be very careful outside, but keep showing us piccies, they are so beautiful!

Edited to add:  OMG Kajsa herself has been here and left me a lovely comment!!!  Oh my gosh I'm so excited it's silly!  It's just like I was saying, you can get so close to the authors these days.  And to think I've warmed her heart!  Oh gosh, I'd better go and have a calming cup of tea after that.

13 comments:

- said...

The book looks like it's full of lots of great patterns and ideas!

Anita said...

Those little houses a bloomin' adorable! So cute. Glad your birthday was great Sarah. xx

Naturally Carol said...

They are wonderful ideas and projects from your new book! Blender fabric ideas...decorate teatowels, handtowels for kitchen, pot holders, tablerunner or placemats for kitchen table or dining room with other fabrics, frame a bit for the kitchen wall or perhaps a scissor cover or knife wrap...can't think of anything else...or for cards or wrapping for kitchen tea gift...or jar lids or milk jug covers?

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday wishes!!! Thank you for your kind words about my book, it warms my heart!

x
Kajsa

Pixiedust said...

I've seen this book on amazon and wondered whether to get it, as I love the scandinavian style of crafting. Off to check out that flickr site now, and then i may order it. The cushion looks great, and I love the little houses. xxx Pixie xxx

Lisa said...

I just bought the book from Book Depository in the UK!! OH dear me.. I saw it on your blog the other day and just had to have... also.. dont go using up all your new fabrics too quickly!! eeekk Id like to get to see them at some stage soon.. havent emailed back...just been a tad busy.. I love all your new creations.. those houses are gorgeous!

Serenata said...

Oh I love the cushion Sarah it is wonderful and such a great compliment from your daughter as well. Might have to put this book on my wish list...I wonder if I'll have much luck?!

Daisy said...

What a beautiful book. Love all your fabric choices.
Hugs
Daisy x

Me and Ma said...

Love the little houses sarah, so simple but beautiful :)

Lululiz said...

Great cushion, you clever thing.

Wendy said...

those houses are so cute and I love your cushion. I need that book, I need it now... what have you done to me?? Can't buy it, it's too near Christmas!

roseroomnz.com said...

fabulous! Rachaelxo

magpie chic said...

I love those little houses. So whimsicle!!!
Happy decorating.
Luv Jacqui