Tuesday 6 July 2010

The End


Isn't it a good day when you finally complete a big project?  Sometimes they can seem never ending.  This one sure did, although it didn't take that long really considering it was my first crochet project.  I'm missing my crochet time in the evenings now.

It's a bit like a good book.  You can't wait to see what happens in the end, but you know when you get there you won't have any book left to enjoy. 

I'm very pleased with how it has turned out.  I still would like to block it (even though I have huge pressure from a couple of opinionated ladies, who shall remain nameless, not to bother),  because I think the edges will sit flatter and the whole thing will just look a little more professional.  I still haven't made the effort to perform this task and since it is the holidays can't really see it happening any time soon.

The red blanket is rather a good find of mine.  I went with my Grandmother to a quilt show at her retirement village two weeks ago.  It was lovely to see so many wonderful quilts.  Anyway some of the ladies were selling goods and I of course had to have this blanket, especially as it was only $10!!  Bargain of the year I'm quite sure.  Thanks for the loan and sorry for emptying your purse  Gran!  It's one big granny square which I rather like and the colours are just perfect for our lounge.

Another finished project is this notice board.  It had been in hiding under the sofa until Daughter No.1 mentioned that I still hadn't finished it.  I had completely forgotten about it, honest.

Well out it came along with a bottle of PVA glue and we just did it.  Simple as that.  Plenty of willing helpers to press out any bubbles along the way.  The glue, which was my main worry, was absolutely fine.

Now all we have to do is decide on where to hang it.  Poor father will have to bang another nail into the wall.  His precious perfect walls that he spent hours making so nice.

And now the girls are making a mess wonderful new project.  No.2 has discovered a love of ironing.  Sick child!  She will be given shirts when she runs out of seams to iron.

They have both been having turns at the sewing machine.  Some seams are a little off the fabric, but mostly I'm quite impressed. 

No.3 had her little friend over for a sleepover last night.  It was the first time for both of them and boy were they giggly!  But so cute and so nicely behaved.  We have No.2's friend over tomorrow night to look forward to.  It's a busy sort of week really but lots of home time.  We'll have to go out a bit next week.  It's a bit boring staying home for too many days in a row. 

Hope you are enjoying the holidays if it's your turn.  Otherwise have a very lovely week.  Right, off for a warm up cuppa tea.  Bye for now xx

29 comments:

Megan said...

your blanket is beautiful well done! i love the colours you have used. i am still going on mine, about half way through making my squares. i am wanting to make a noticeboard/jewellery holder for my little girl- yours looks lovely, espeically with the doily decoration, enjoy your cuppa, i am about to so the same! :)

Heidi said...

Ilove the red blanket but the one you made is beautiful....

quilary said...

Oh I love, love, love your blanket. The colour combination is just gorgeous and the white frames the squares so beautifully.
We are on holidays here and the two youngest have picked up their knitting - one to make a scarf for herself and one to make a scarf for her teddy! Enjoy the rest of your holidays.

Anonymous said...

The blanket is just beautiful. Congratulations! Your notice board is darling....you might have to make me one too. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Sarah Gauntlett said...

I have been learning to crochet (just this week) and can't wait to make a blanket like yours! or that big red granny square! now to convince hubby i need wool...

Christina Lowry said...

Congratulations on finishing the blanket! It looks wonderful. I do understand those bitter sweet feelings. Starting another project helps. :)

Country Nanny said...

Hi Sarah! Your granny squares blanket is absolutely gorgeous! I love it as well as the noticeboard!!
Have a nice day.
Elisa

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love your blanket, the colours are lovely and I am sure your little ones will treasure it. Lovely that you have mini ironing ladies in the making! My son learnt to iron his shirt at air cadets - it's good for them to feel capable and independent as they grow older I think. Betty x

Baa-Me Kniits said...

You have been busy...and it all looks so lovely! I really like your notice board! My friend scored me a granny blanket at the markets recently so I won't have to make my own for a while. Aren't they the best for cozying up on the couch!! Glad to see you are enjoying the holidays :-)

Anonymous said...

Your "firsts" are absolutely beautiful-- Both the quilt and the blanket. You must be so pleased
Kindest Regards Linda

Me and Ma said...

Your blanket looks fantastic Sarah, and I really like your red bargain one too. The notice board has turned out really well..

Fruitful Fusion said...

Your granny blanket is gorgeous! Well done on finishing it off! I wouldn't bother blocking it either :)
And I LOVE your notice board! It's beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

I adore your blanket, I know what you mean about finishing a big project, it is so satisfying and yet you feel like something is missing too! The notice board is sheer eye candy, and what a brilliant idea! It is wonderful to see your girls trying out the wonderful world of sewing, something that they will carry with them through life! Love the red blanket, what a bargain! Have a wonderful week busy bee! Suzie xxx

'Joyce' said...

Congrats on the granny rug, looks awesome, I have just begun another, although, I probably shouldn't with a few scarves on the hooks, and knitting on needles, but it's nice to have a few things on the go for a change of pace now and then. Love your noticeboard also. Great colours.

Nadine said...

WELL DONE!!!! I am so impressed. It really looks lovely! Mine is getting there, making progress, hopefully I can post the finished blanket in the next month...we'll see!

Lululiz said...

Mrs Opinionated of Hastings here!! Both Miss Opinionated of Brighton and myself have tried to convince her that spending ages blocking a blanket, which is going to be pulled about, snuggled under, left in a heap and generally well loved by 4, FOUR!! girls, is a complete waste of time. Sigh. But of course Madam I-know-best is determined. Lucky her if she has that much spare time to waste!

Oh, and I almost forgot to say, of course the blanket is absolutely gorgeous, even in its unblocked state!!!

Unknown said...

Amen... it's a true beauty. I know the total feeling you get when completed. You almost miss it. But, then as I can see you are like me and off and running on the next journey.

Kate

Serenata said...

Fantastic blanket Sarah - has certainly grown since I first saw the little squares way back in March! Hmmm... without treading on any toes, I think I am going to have to agree with Mrs Opinionated of Hastings...but then I probably verge on laziness... ;-)

Lovely that you have your girls sewing. They will treasure these moments when they are older.

Melissa said...

Love the quilt! I put my crochet hook down after my one and only granny square quilt end of last year and I think I still have not picked it back up. Well done.

. said...

Man, that's a beautiful blanket! How lucky to have someone in the house with a love of the iron... I don't think any of my lot even know we have one, x

Sally said...

Oh - I adore your crocheted granny square blanket. Beautiful.
... and $10 for the other crocheted blanket!!! Oh my!!! That sure is a bargain.

Bev C said...

Hello Sarah, what a wonderful finish. Your daughter loves ironing-send her over here!!!! She will be employed. Seriously it is great for children to learn about sewing and that includes ironing. Love the blanket your bought for a bargain. Stay warm.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hi Sarah

I love your crochet blanket, well done it looks lovely. I haven't done any crochet in months and miss it.

The notice board is very pretty, you have been a busy bee!

It's good to get children involved in sweing and crafting.

Busy household then, we'll be having some of Miss P's friends over for sleepovers during the holidays too.

Take care
Isabelle x

Lace hearts said...

How satisfying to have finished your blanket. It looks gorgeous - love the noticeboard too. My girls love ironing, and are always happily ironing seams for me. Funny, isn't it!

Lace hearts said...

How satisfying to have finished your blanket. It looks gorgeous - love the noticeboard too. My girls love ironing, and are always happily ironing seams for me. Funny, isn't it!

roseroomnz.com said...

Hi Sarah! Your blanket that you made is divine and love the notice board! Sounds like your first week of school holidays has been just lovely. I have ironing to do, mainly pillowcases! lol - Rachaelxo

Claire Gale said...

that is one beautiful granny blanket sarah, love the white - great choice. well done for finishing TWO projects :)

karen said...

Hi hunni
Sorry I haven't been over for such a long time. I thought I'd pop over and catch up with you.
Well it look's like I've miss loads!!!
I adore the crochet blanket and the notice board look's great.

I think I'll have all the fun to come with sleep over's and stuff. River starts school in September so I'm sure it'll all come about soon lol

Hope our all well
karen

RebeccaMom said...

The crochet blanket is wonderful! It's such a great accomplishment to finish something like that! :)